Symbols - What does heaven look like
There is a link between the boat as a form of spiritual transport and the idea of a sail boat.
In all visions one tends to see sail boats depicted and not motor boats.
A sail is driven by wind and in symbolic terms, the wind is the ‘breath of life’, or another symbolic term for spirit output and spirit input – the input/output energy that circulates in the spiritual world.
Thus to have the wind in your sails means you have help from the spiritual world, you are being blown along by the input you are getting from spiritual experiences, whether this happens to be invisible input or visible input – see Types of Spiritual experience.
Below, painting by myself – here I am watching other people sail on by as I am trapped behind the cage.
For iPad/iPhone users: tap letter twice to get list of items.
- Ancient Egyptian - The boat as a symbol #000401
- Baudelaire, Charles - Le Voyage - We want to break the boredom of our jails #000312
- Book of Five Spheres - The Fire Scroll - Crossing a Ford #008302
- Cirlot on boats #004804
- Da Vinci, Leonardo - Allegory with Wolf and Eagle #010824
- Debussy - Voiles #003544
- Freddie Mercury and Montserrat Caballe - Guide Me Home #022304
- Genesis - Ripples #003647
- Heine, Heinrich - The North Sea - Stay thou below in thy ocean depths #002634
- Homer - The Odyssey - The Sirens #002661
- Hypnerotomachia Poliphili - Boat to the Isle of Venus #002045
- Kao-Shih - Impressions of a traveller #012835
- Led Zeppelin - Kashmir #012067
- Legrand - And the art of creativity #005953
- Lewis, C S - Dawn Treader - Sea horses #000455
- Morrells, Luce and the raft #005202
- Redon, Odilon - the Boat series #008022
- Rolling Stones - She's a Rainbow #012091
- Sacred geography - Ancient Egyptian - Rivers and streams #014136
- Saint Brendan - 02 The Voyage of Saint Brendan #015504
- Saint Brendan - 03 The Voyage of Saint Brendan #015505
- Saint Brendan - 12 The Voyage of Saint Brendan #015602
- Saint Brendan - 13 The Voyage of Saint Brendan #015603
- Saint Brendan - 14 The Voyage of Saint Brendan #015604
- Saint Brendan - A summary of his 'voyage' #007142
- Sales, Francois de - On free will #022581
- Seneca – Agamemnon - Fortuna #000815
- Tennyson, Alfred Lord - Morte d'Arthur - Then saw they how there hove a dusky barge #000223
- The Ship of Fools #004279
- Two ships #004746
- Wadsworth Longfellow, Henry - Becalmed #011016
- Waterhouse, John William - Ulysses and the Sirens #008107
- Wilcox, Ella Wheeler - The Winds of fate #016398