Symbols - What does heaven look like
When the dove is paired with a lion, it takes on the symbolism of the Subconscious - see Conscious and Subconscious synonyms.
Alone, the dove takes on the symbolism of all birds.
In addition, the dove is seen most often as a messenger, a bringer of messages and a sender of messages. White doves are thus the messengers of creation. To this we can add tame [capable of being controlled by man], peace loving, helpful to man in their need to communicate with the spirit world and capable of going considerable distances spiritually. Being symbolically associated with the Subconscious they are feminine symbolically and occasionally associated with VENUS.
In the book of Genesis, Noah sent out a dove after the great flood in order to determine how far the floodwaters had receded. Dove is also a term of endearment in the Song of Songs and elsewhere.
In the New Testament…… the Holy Spirit descended upon Jesus at his baptism like a dove, and subsequently the dove became a common Christian symbol of the Holy Spirit.
In Islam, doves are respected and favoured because they are believed to have assisted the final prophet of Islam, Muhammad, in distracting his enemies outside the cave of Thaw'r in the great Hijra.
It is worth adding that Cirlot makes a distinction between the dove and the turtle dove, they have different attributes.
A Dictionary of Symbols – J E Cirlot
Turtle doves are symbols of fidelity and of affection among human beings. It is to be found in many allegories and is sometimes confused with the dove.
For iPad/iPhone users: tap letter twice to get list of items.
- Beausobre, Iulia de - out of body in the steam baths #007884
- Black bars hovering over her like a cage #014423
- Blithe spirit - The Raven and the Dove #021610
- Chemical Wedding of Christian Rosenkreutz - The Second Day #010651
- Chemical Wedding of Christian Rosenkreutz - The Third Day #008252
- Cirlot on scales #014600
- Cohen, Leonard - Dance me to the end of love #003555
- Cohen, Leonard - Raven and dove #004417
- Coleridge, Samuel Taylor - Kisses #001976
- Communicating with two crows, a magpie, a collared dove, a pheasant and an assortment of little birds #021611
- Crowley - 0 The Fool #007482
- Crowley - 16 - The Tower #007923
- Desnos, Robert - Dove In The Arch #021493
- Dolly Parton - Raven Dove #012028
- Fludd, Robert - Fiat #011168
- Freddie Mercury and Queen - The Prophet’s Song #022423
- Genesis 08 - the Flood #007155
- Hawker, Robert Stephen - The Quest of the Sangraal - The Queen, The Queen how haughty on the dais #000645
- Ibn El-Arabi - The Tarjuman al-Ashwaq - A ringdove wailed and a sad lover complained #013413
- Ibn El-Arabi - The Tarjuman al-Ashwaq - Flashes of lightning gleamed to us #013409
- Ibn El-Arabi - The Tarjuman al-Ashwaq - My lovesickness is from her of the lovesick eyelids #013419
- Ibn El-Arabi - The Tarjuman al-Ashwaq - O doves that haunt the arák and bán trees #013411
- Ibn El-Arabi - The Tarjuman al-Ashwaq - They mounted the howdahs on the swift camels #013416
- Leighton, Frederick Lord - A Girl feeding Peacocks #007059
- Lowell, James Russell - Thou canst not see a shade in life #004502
- Lucian of Samosata – De Dea Syria #022158
- Magritte, Rene - L’entrée en scene #001584
- Matthew 10 #010236
- Millais, John Everett - Christ in the house of his parents #007741
- Near death on Cough syrup #002737
- Neruda, Pablo - Come to my soul dressed in white #004891
- Neruda, Pablo - If you were to come into being suddenly #000637
- Nizami – Makhzanol Asrar (The Treasury of Mysteries) – from On the Ascension #018812
- Ovid - Metamorphoses - The Story of Coronis and Birth of Aesculapius #003839
- Ovid - The Amores Book II Elegy VI; The Death of Corinna’s Pet Parrot #021571
- Philo - On the dove #010287
- Rimbaud, Arthur - Resting limbs worn out from Wandering #003829
- Rossetti, Dante Gabriel - Beata Beatrix #001729
- Rossetti, Dante Gabriel - Damsel of the Sanct Grail #010580
- Saint Teresa of Avila - Out of body and a dove #000432
- Schwabe, Carlos - La Vierge aux colombes 1895 #003752
- Schwabe, Carlos - Pelleas and Melisande #008078
- Shih Ching - Dove #013850
- Stolz von Stolzenberg, Daniel - Viridarium chemicum 1624 #016126
- Surdas - Fatephur Sikri manuscript - NPS 3908 #017250
- Sweeney Todd - Green Finch and Linnet Bird #021578
- Twelve drummers drumming #002214
- Vignoli, Tito - On birds #007112
- Virgil - The Aeneid - Mistletoe #013909
- Waterhouse, John William - Dolce far Niente #008094
- Waterhouse, John William - Saint Eulalia #008097
- Waterhouse, John William - The favourites of Emperor Honorius #008106
- Who Killed Cock Robin #008179