1.3. Direct and indirect tasks
Now let us look at these activities from a different perspective. Some of these can be thought of as a key part of each project – ones which go in a sort of cycle. Some of the other activities, however, are ongoing meaning they don’t form part of the overall cycle of change – of creation and destruction. So some are concerned directly with the creation and destruction of the system of the universe, some are essential indirect support activities
Directly System related
- Define objectives – this is the first stage in any very large project, it is system related – from a system point of view you are defining the objectives of the system in line with the overall vision and strategy.
- Business re-engineering – this is when we analyse Analyse the existing functions or activities in our system and then try to invent a better logical way in which they might be undertaken.
- Build – here the system has to be Designed, Constructed and Tested. For ease of diagrammatic display we can include her all Procurement – Purchasing or obtaining things need for the system, because it is at this stage that things tend to get bought in
- Installation – here we put the system in place Implement it – it is ‘born’. There is a certain amount of education and training as well as marketing that takes place here
- Production [use system] – the system is in Operation, only once it is really working can we see whether it works or not and to this end operation is a sort of testing during which Support and help is given as the system [help desk] is used and all the background Maintenance work is undertaken [back-ups, bug fixing etc]. The system in operation is also constantly Monitored using the feedback from its users to see how it is getting on.
- Disposal –Once the system is implemented and you are happy it works OK, you have to gradually remove the old system
- Project management – the management of projects, an ongoing activity
- Systems integration – the integration of each separate increment or configuration into the whole , an ongoing activity
- Change integration – also called Configuration management. An ongoing activity – the management of change
- Vision/strategy – there is an activity related to the overall strategy in contrast to the objectives of the system. Objectives follow on from the vision
It is worth adding that all these activities involve communication – the need to explain to those on the rim of the wheel what is going on. This is ‘illumination’
What we get as a result is the wheel of change.
Some of us will be involved in the system activities as a sort of direct worker, some will be involved in the central activities – the unmoving centre. The wheel goes round and round and round with change as the norm, whereas those in the centre stay still and simply integrate, manage and illuminate.
In terms of the roles we play in life, Heroes are involved in the rim of the wheel, whereas Kings and Queens are found at the centre. And of course the Emperor and Empress are always at the centre for they manage the overall vision and strategy. Most heroes aim to win their spurs and become part of the centre. A hermit is close to the centre but is still part of the cycle.
Occasionally those at the centre will get involved in projects and incarnate to help out. Thus it is not the case that those at the centre are out of the cycle of reincarnation. They are not. If need be they incarnate like the rest of us. Of all the creatures on this planet, practically all are heroes.