Dan tien is loosely translated as "elixir field", "sea of qi", or simply "energy center" within Traditional Chinese medicine as well as a number of systems of spiritual practises such as Qigong, Taoism and Buddhism.
They are spiritually equivalent to the Chakras. Just like the chakras they also have their physical equivalent and they too can be correlated to the endocrine system. See Chakras and endocrine system. In effect all practises that work with the Dan Tiens are working with the hormones of the endocrine system.
- The Lower Dan Tien - is found below the navel about three finger widths below and two finger widths behind the navel, and is also called "the golden stove". It is associated with ‘cultivating life energy’ and with ‘vital essence or sexual energy’ (jing). There is a direct correspondence here between this spiritual concept and the Reproductive system which both produces hormones and stores hormones such as FSH and LS as well as Oxytocin, progesterone, testosterone, oestrogen and so on. The lower dan tian has been described to be "like the root of the tree of life".
- Middle dantian is found at the level of the heart, associated with storing ‘life energy’and with respiration and health of the internal organs. There appears to be a correspondence here with the thymus gland and heart. The heart can produce Oxytocin.
For iPad/iPhone users: tap letter twice to get list of items.
- David-Neel, Alexandra - Kundalini and the symbolism of 'breathing' #016674
- Observing vessels #016751
- Taoism - Embryonic breathing #016664
- The Complete Book of Principal Contents of Human Life and Temperament, About Large, and Small Tripod and Furnace #016636
- Tibetan Book of the Dead - Achieving Buddhahood - Part 1 #010715
- Tibetan Book of the Dead - Achieving Buddhahood - Part 2 #010716
- Tibetan Book of the Dead - Achieving Buddhahood - Part 3 #010717