Within this category of Olfactory hallucinations, both hallucinations of taste and hallucinations of smell will be covered as the two often go together.
Both ‘good’ smells and ‘bad’ smells and tastes are quite frequent features of spiritual experience, where the smell alone prevails.
The association of the ‘devil’ with the smell of sulphur and rotten eggs was quite probably literally experienced by those who used exorcism to drive out ‘demons’. There are observations on this site that show that it is still a feature of present day exorcisms in other cultures.
The ‘good’ smells are called, by those who are mystically inclined, ‘perfumes’ and some perfumes have a key place again in proving – at least to those who smell them if not to the rest of the world - that sensory systems are spiritual and that a spiritual world exists. And the reason is that some perfumes have no physical equivalent. The smell is literally ‘out of this world’ and as one who lost their sense of smell and taste almost entirely, but gets these smells at certain key moments – they are unbelievably uplifting and beautiful – a glimpse of a most wonderful realm.
It is impossible to describe this sort of smell to anyone, because how do you describe a smell never smelt, but there is the hint of Pine and Rosemary, in particular mingled with other flowers, something that reminds me of the sea …. Oh dear, not possible you see, not possible. It is just there when something major is about to happen to me and it gives me enormous comfort and cheer.
Olfactory hallucinations are quite common amongst those who have lost their sense of smell, as by sensorily depriving the mind of smells, the mind often conveniently fills in the gaps as best it can with smells it gets from its repertoire of past smells. On the site you will find people comforted by the smell of coffee percolating, pipe smoke and other comforting things.
But there are also smells of a most unpleasant nature that sometime emerge and this one needs to heed as a warning, as the mind is trying to tell you something is very wrong.
The taste of metal in the mouth, smells of things rotting, or smells of excrement are not infrequent in those taking pharmaceuticals and drugs. Interestingly they do not get reported as often to the FDA or SEDA in Adverse drug reports, because the person assumes they are real! But a quick glance at EROWID or some of the other social media blog sites for drug users will show that they are actually quite common in drug users – and by extension pharmaceutical users.
This LINK takes you to a list of pharmaceuticals that are known to have produced olfactory hallucinations.
Physically, one of the things that appears to produce olfactory hallucinations is an attack to the olfactory nerves - both impairing and stimulating them. A number of agents can do this damage besides pharmaceuticals including:
- Heavy metals - including both dental amalgam fillings and metal implants
- Hurt - emotional hurt [grief, loss, abuse, etc]
- Hurt - physical hurt [bumps bangs, crashes, cuts, etc]
- Hypoxia - shortage of the air we need to breathe because of smoke, pollution etc
- Radiation/environmental stressors - including heat, cold, and electromagnetic radiation both domestic and industrial. There are actually a vast number of stressors here mechanical as well as electrical all of which stimulate the body via resonance - shake it up!
- Nutritional deprivation - shortage of food, excess food, or inbalance of food, minerals and vitamins
Viruses in particular can remain dormant for long periods, sequestered in nerve ganglia, and suddenly re-emerge at intervals of months or years. Generally it appears that bad smells can indicate a possible re-emergence of the virus and be a warning of a new attack. Herpes simplex appears to be a particular culprit in this respect, so I am afraid that olfactory hallucinations can indicate you have herpes!
But we must be careful that we start to think that olfactory hallucinations are physical - some aberration of the wiring in the brain. The analogy needs to be born in mind. A malfunction in the hardware will cause some odd processing to occur, but what it messes up is the software and smell, taste and the results - smell and taste are functional - software and not form based.
The very presence of perfumes in their spiritual sense is a proof of both spirit and also a proof that there are smells that have no existence in the mind - they are not there because we perceived them, they are there because our composer went off to gather them for us.
For iPad/iPhone users: tap letter twice to get list of items.
- A Strangely Isolated Place LSD & Massage by DayTripper #014717
- Actos #005505
- Agnes of Jesus, Prioress of Langeac – Certain exceptionally favoured individuals were conscious of her heavenly fragrance #024264
- Akineton [biperiden hydrochloride] #001525
- Arifi of Herat - The Ball and the Polo Stick - In his locks he had a thousand hidden curls #003298
- Auditory, visual, tactile, olfactory, and bodily hallucinations in patients with obsessive-compulsive disorder #014713
- Baudelaire, Charles - Les Fleurs du Mal - A room which resembles a dream #000308
- Beausobre, Iulia de - out of body in the steam baths #007884
- Bird Chirping Overtones DiPT & Cannabis by Flying Hamster #014722
- Blessed Maria degli Angeli – An incomparable fragrance made itself manifest in the place where she lived or through which she passed #024265
- Blithe spirit - The hallucination that saved us #014736
- Bonnie Blodgett and smell #003220
- Book of Enoch-24 #001816
- Buspar and Buspirone #005495
- Carbamazepine #012342
- Cardura #005123
- Celebrex #023960
- Champix, Chantix and Varenicline #001509
- Clonazepam and Klonopin #002196
- Cluster headache with aura #018054
- Corbin, Henry - The Book of Theophanies #009281
- Cymbalta and Duloxetine #005064
- Deja vu and prophecy #006495
- Diazepam and valium #002199
- Escitalopram and Lexapro #005065
- Evagrius Ponticus - A study into his asceticism #000570
- Gabapentin and Neurontin #005706
- Glimepiride #005497
- Glipizide and Glucotrol #005499
- I'm going mad. But I know what I heard. It was Ron's voice #021463
- Illusions, Delusions, Terror, and Clarity Mushrooms & Diphendydrinate (Dramamine) by Humblesponge #014724
- Incense smell in Raynham Hall #010079
- Instant winner! 2C-C by psydkik #014723
- Jack Sunday - LSD by Jack Sunday #014720
- Julian of Norwich - AFTER this the Fiend came again with his heat and with his stench #002506
- Julian of Norwich - Meets the goblin of her illness #002505
- Kant, Immanuel - Dreams of a Spirit Seer - How are hallucinations & visions constructed? #015122
- Lamotrigine and Lamictral #005717
- Limbic system symptomatology associated with colloid cyst of the third ventricle #017818
- Lithium carbonate #024075
- Lorazepam, Ativan and Temesta #002202
- Lunesta #002364
- Lyrica [use and abuse] #024083
- Macmillan smells perfume #004411
- Mefloquine [Lariam] #001552
- Meloxicam #024088
- Metformin #005498
- Modafinil and Provigil #005434
- Monsieur Deleuze smells a vulnerary #011291
- Morrells, Luce and thunder and perfumes #014692
- Mutwa, Vusamazulu Credo - Expunges demons #002387
- Mutwa, Vusamazulu Credo - Possessed by an Ancestor spirit #001015
- Myōe – The Woman of Yuasa #021388
- Namenda #005417
- Norflex #016879
- Norvasc #024112
- Olfactory and gustatory hallucinations presenting as partial status epilepticus #014735
- Olfactory hallucinations #002083
- Olfactory hallucinations as a manifestation of hidden rhinosinusitis #019881
- Olfactory hallucinations elicited by electrical stimulation via subdural electrodes #014728
- Olfactory hallucinations in primary headache disorders #014725
- Olfactory hallucinations in schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder #014726
- Oliver Sacks - Herpes simplex damage #001368
- Oliver Sacks - Man suffering acute sense of loss #000468
- Oliver Sacks - Smell mix causes problems #001353
- Oliver Sacks - Smells that come from 'beyond the mind' #014732
- Prevalence and phenomenology of olfactory hallucinations in Parkinson's disease #014727
- Rare effects of stroke – Stroke Association November 2012 #012624
- Requip #001532
- Ribavirin, Copegus, Rebetol and Ribasphere #005609
- Scott, Selina - An interview with Canon Paul Greenwell about his ghost work #017173
- Simvastatin and Zocor #001153
- Sleep apnea #002352
- Sleeping tablets sent me bonkers #002366
- Sympathomimetic syndrome, choreoathetosis, and acute kidney injury following "bath salts" injection #016550
- Tactile, olfactory, and gustatory hallucinations in psychotic disorders #014712
- Temazepam #002201
- The Lotus Sutra - 18 Benefits of the Teacher of the Law - 3 The benefits of becoming a 'seer' #023905
- The Mind Blank Spell - Salvia divinorum, Mushrooms & Alcohol by Memnoch #014718
- Tizanidine #016875
- Topiramate and Topamax #005713
- Valproate, Depakene and Depakote #005701
- Vaughan, Henry - from Unprofitableness #012765
- Versed and Midazolam #002205
- Very Bizzare Trip - Mushrooms by Faust #014721
- Wellbutrin #005104
- Wellbutrin sr #024183
- Wellbutrin xl #024184
- Whiteman, J H M flies out through the window #007912
- Whitman, Walt - Leaves of Grass - Perfume #004415
- Yeats, Georgie - A Vision - Sweet smells #001823
- Zaleplon - Sonata #002362
- Zanaflex #016874
- Zantac and Ranitidine #005562