Search whole site
In order to be able to see how the Nervous system fits in to the overall function of the Mind see The Model of the Mind. For more details on why it is so key to spiritual experience see How spiritual experience works.
There is a Physical nervous system and a logical Nervous system .
This is a complex concept to explain, but the Physical nervous system uses physical nerves, neurons, soma, dendrites, axons and so on. The logical Nervous system used ‘meridians’ or ‘nadis’. Energy lines that use the underlying Physical nervous system .
Analogously the Physical nervous system is like a computer hardware network. But a computer hardware network is not a lot of use unless it is used by the software and over this network we get messages being sent.
This may mean nothing to anyone except a computer person, but the nervous system is software part of the body’s communication system - the middleware of the body. Another way of looking at it is that the physical nervous system is the Internet and the Nervous system is the Worldwide web software that runs over it. The Physical nervous system is the hardware, the Nervous system is the software.
The internal nervous system processes information about internal body sensations. This is recorded as ‘sensory information’.
The sensory system is thus a function based system not mechanical or material. For example, we know we are hungry or thirsty, or in pain, so in effect our nervous system does not just send us an electrical message along the nerves, it sends us a factual message from the organs themselves. This factual message is invisible because it is ‘spirit’.
Our organs and body parts work like little computers within our body. Each time they need an action from the mind, they send a message that is a data based message that we can physically see as an electrical nervous impulse, but which is in reality a carrier signal of data about what is needed and what is happening.
For iPad/iPhone users: tap letter twice to get list of items.
- Descartes, Rene - On appetites and emotions #002948
- Descartes, Rene - The subjective nature of perceptions #014486
- Poimandres - Hermes Trismegistus #004459
- Schopenhauer, Arthur - The World as Will and Idea - The Innocence of plants #006330
- Spinoza, Baruch - Ethics - Mind #018599
- Steiner, Rudolf - Nature spirits - Perception and evolution #000925
- The Cloud of unknowing #000920
- The Cloud of unknowing #000929
- The Complete Book of Principal Contents of Human Life and Temperament: Hen anthology #016743