Memory and subliminal models
What we may not realize is that there are models being built in our Memory of which we are not at all aware. I have called these subliminal models.
The process of Learning is generally not a consciously controlled one, and we may be subconsciously taking up facts and building models of which we are only vaguely aware, if at all.
The automatic nature of learning and the subliminal nature of some models can be both positive and negative. The constant barrage of TV ‘news’, advertisements and so on, and the haranguing of the tabloid newspapers, undoubtedly negatively affects our mental models. And very little of what we receive from these sources is actually ‘true’, much is manufactured by PA men, marketing men, journalists and politicians.
Rationally, the person may still believe it to be a load of nonsense, but irrationally the model may have been built. The existence of these subliminal models can often explain behaviour by a person, which they themselves do not understand. It may take the form of unaccountable impulses to act, or even inhibitions of action, or of obsessive ideas.
For iPad/iPhone users: tap letter twice to get list of items.
- Al-Ghazzali - The Alchemy of Happiness - 05 On what prevents spiritual experience #018771
- Asvaghosha - The Awakening of Faith in the Mahayana - Spiritual interactions #016356
- Asvaghosha - The Awakening of Faith in the Mahayana - The problems of the 5 senses #016332
- Bergson, Henri - Matter and Memory - The Dangers of Memory #015019
- Chesterton, G K - Orthodoxy - Reason is itself a matter of faith #015033
- Crowley, Aleister - Book of Lies - The Battle of the Ants #012905
- Damasio, Professor Antonio - Remembering #014816
- Damasio, Professor Antonio - The lying memory #011008
- Eusevgny Faygdysh - The Mystic Cosmos - Psychological trauma and illness #013626
- Goethe - Faust Part 1 #010831
- Grof, Dr Stanislav - Accessing perceptions - the index #011056
- Grof, Dr Stanislav - Emotion as the principle index to perceptions #011064
- Grof, Dr Stanislav - Peter relives being locked in the cellar #011058
- Grof, Dr Stanislav - Rebuilding memory from perceptions #011054
- Jili, Abd al-Karim - Al-Kahf wa al-raqim - 060 Section 5 #013467
- Kant, Immanuel - Quotes - Where is the soul? #015099
- Krishnamurti - The Network of Thought - You, the ego… the me is just memory #013522
- Leibniz - The Monadology - 03 #020585
- Mach, Ernst - The limitations of memory and the 5 senses #014183
- Masters and Houston - False memories true perceptions #015554
- Mutwa, Vusamazulu Credo - The ena and the moya #013492
- Omar Khayyam - On Creed and Belief systems #008283
- Ramachandran, Dr V S - The distortion of perceptions to fit belief systems #013531
- Reichel-Dolmatoff – Amazonian Cosmos - Wisdom vs knowledge #011619
- Research paper - Visual Awareness and the Detection of Fearful Faces #014337
- Sacks, Oliver - On Inner speech #014343
- Tennyson, Alfred Lord - In Memoriam A H H - Who loves not Knowledge? #013878
- Vaughan, Henry - The Pursuit #012644
- Villoldo, Dr Alberto - Soul loss and retrieval in children #011596
- Wells, H G - War, environmental degradation and hate #015492
- Whitman, Walt - Leaves of Grass - Hurrah for positive science #010996