Search Definitions and symbolism
Our ‘mind’ contains a set of functions, but we also have a ‘body’ and that body too has functions. The autonomic system is used to describe all the functions of the body that are not under the control of the Will, but can operate apparently autonomously.
I have provided a separate section on the sexual system because it is of great importance to this site, but the sexual system is also an autonomic system.
I think it helps to have an analogy and using the computer analogy, the autonomic functions are like the operating system for the body as a whole. Some given functions are automatic from the day we are born. Some have to be ‘learnt’ in the sense of learning something you have already got, so not learning new function, but getting to know how a given function works.
Walking, running, using our hands dexterously must be practised and learnt despite the fact we have the functions as part of the package.
Learning to use the functions we have as part of the package often requires no words at all. Most children learn how to walk , run, remain continent, use their hands, and so on without any help, except perhaps for encouragement and support.
Analogously, this is somewhat like being given a PC [personal computer] on which an operating system [the autonomic functions] has already been loaded, some functions of which have to be learnt.
Centipede - Anon
A centipede was happy quite,
Until a frog in fun
Said 'Pray which leg comes after which?'
This raised her mind to such a pitch
She lay distracted in a ditch
Considering how to run
For iPad/iPhone users: tap letter twice to get list of items.
- Ahmad Ahsai, Shaykh - Kitab Sharh al-Ziyara - The 'Fall' #003126
- Boethius - The Consolation of Philosophy - Providence has given its creatures #003149
- Book of Enoch-69 #004851
- Bruce Chatwin – On instinct and aggression #002705
- Bryson, Bill - On cells #018648
- Bunny Vreeland cured of allergies by hypnotherapy #012306
- Circular breathing - Autonomic control of the heart during circular breathing #016568
- Concealed Treasure of Dao; Thesis of Sitting Forgetfulness #016745
- Dao scriptures #016632
- Darwin, Charles - The Expression of the Emotions #003985
- Dawkins, Professor Richard - Unweaving the Rainbow - The seagull #011834
- Descartes, Rene - On appetites and emotions #002948
- Eleanor C Merry - The Flaming Door - Comments on the Pistis Sophia #013955
- Kant, Immanuel - Dreams of a Spirit Seer - 03 Chapter One #015094
- Khan, Hazrat Inayat - The Art of Being and Becoming - On aspects of soul #004834
- Masefield, John - Sonnets and Poems XII #001472
- Masters and Houston - The dive #004930
- Masters and Houston on the conscious #004926
- Mutwa, Vusamazulu Credo - Amarava and Odu #013487
- Nuremberg Chronicle - Blemyhas #010679
- Prasna Upanishad #007197
- Receiving wisdom when in a trance #007895
- Reichel-Dolmatoff – The Tukano Indians - The Three Worlds #011608
- Schopenhauer, Arthur - The World as Will and Idea - Memories and emotions #006056
- Schopenhauer, Arthur - The World as Will and Idea - The Innocence of plants #006330
- Spinoza, Baruch - Ethics - Mind #018599
- Spinoza, Baruch - Ethics - The autonomic system #001781
- Taoism - The body as a castle and city #016663
- The Complete Book of Principal Contents of Human Life and Temperament: Hen anthology #016743
- Thoreau, Henry D - Walden - The reptile in us #001843
- Watson, Lyall - Cold fronts and warm fronts #020340
- Yuasa, Professor Yasuo - Emotions and health #021122